CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 28, 2009

Start of Summer

Well, summer is officially here. After a weekend camping, a week of fun activities at school and then a fun weekend at the lake, Zack had the NERVE to ask me Tuesday morning if we could do something FUN that day! Not to mention we leave for Disney for a week on Saturday. I hated to be the one to tell him that he was in for a very boring week with me getting us ready for our big trip!

So after we get back I think I am going to have to detox my kids from constant motion and entertainment. After having been in a first grade classroom this semester I know that their days are jam packed. Even in preschool they are on the go all day long. Well, here at home, we are not.

This is my first summer not in school in two years. Here is what I want to accomplish:

  • TV on less
  • Video games on less
  • Eat fresher food
  • Less fighting between brothers
  • Work on fine motor skills with Zack
  • Read with the kids more
  • More library trips
  • LOTS of time at the pool
  • More calm

I think those are all attainable goals...

I feel like sometimes our life is go go go and there are days that I just want it to stop. I don't want to have a "to-do" list or a packing list that needs to be attended to. I just want to be. I want to sit on my back porch GUILT FREE and read a book. I want to watch my kids run around in the yard under a sprinkler and not worry about the "water police" ticketing me.

So, as I write this it is near the end of the day. The boys have been fighting a lot today, but I am hoping this is part of the detox process. The TV has been on less and they are building vehicles out of Lego's. This is what it is all about...right here. Not how many camps or vacations we can plan or friends we can have over to occupy our time, but the time that they are forced to be calm and be creative. So what that they are building vehicles to "bomb" each other, the TV is NOT on!!! Small miracles, small miracles.

So ask me at the end of the summer if I reached my goals, I hope for my sanity and that of my family we will!!!

Happy Summer!!!!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I read something last week that struck me. I want my kids to be more "industrial" vs. busy. Like playing with Lego's and enjoying it, making up games etc. I don't know how, but I am going to try to help my kids with this this summer (with little TV time as well) - Good luck and I know you can do it!